The Organ Coordination Office began its activities on January 1, 2007 as a new department of the Hungarian National Blood Transfusion Service. This unit took over all transplant coordination tasks from the former Hungarotransplant Psc. The office centrally coordinates all Hungarian organ procurements process in cooperation with Eurotransplant and forward organ offers from Eurotransplant to Hungarian transplant centers, therefore establishing and operating three levels of donor-transplant coordination.
CV of Responsible Person
Since July1, 2013 Hungary is a member of Eurotransplant International Foundation.
Therefore, the Office is open for:
- 24‐hour duty to receive donor reports from Hungary and from Eurotransplant area
- estimating the suitability of donors and all transplantable organs using the first available information
- informing the competent transplant centers about the allocated donor organ
- and organizing the organ procurement process. and organ transport
Meanwhile, national coordinators help the donor hospital in donor management and lawful administration. This central coordination ends during organ explantation when clinical coordinators take over the tasks in each transplant program. Coordinators in the operating room assist the procurement team in collecting all relevant information, preparing the documentation on explantation and recording all previously missing data. On behalf of the competent transplant center, clinical coordinators call in the chosen recipient, organize the patient’s clinical examination and coordinate the transplant process in accordance with Governmental Decree 287/2006 (XII.23). The establishment of hospital coordination has just started involving currently 9 hospitals, and we plan to reach 45 collaborating hospitals within the next 3 years, with the support of the Ministry of Human Resources.
The final and complete documentation of the entire procurement and transplant process is performed by the OCO where the national donation‐transplantation database is also kept. The summary of our donation and transplant activity is available on our official website.
Other tasks of the Organ Coordination Office:
- donation promotion program, like our systematic hospital visitation program,
- organization and performance of further education for professionals involved in the organ donation process,
- keeping all involved hospitals, transplant centers and other health service providers informed,
- regulary educating people about the facts through the mass media.
The OCO represents Hungary in EU co-funded projects (DOPKI, COORENOR, MODE, ACCORD, FOEDUS) as associated partner and/or work package leader. The OCO was highly involved int he Hungarian implementation process of the 2010/53/EU directive on standards of quality and safety of human organs intended for transplantation.