DEFINITION OF GUIDELINES FOR COOPERATION IN CROSS-BORDER ORGAN EXCHANGES AND ANALYSIS OF BARRIERS/OBSTACLES
Leader: Eurotransplant International Foundation (ETI), International
WP4 is aimed to stimulate the exchange of organs between countries in order to increase the number of available organs in line with the Directive 2010/53/EU. The definition of guidelines for cooperation in the field of organ exchanges between EU countries would stimulate this practice and meet the needs of a larger number of EU patients waiting for a transplant.
The Specific objective releted to WP4 are:
- Reduction of logistical and organizational issues arising in cross-border organ exchange
- Identification of financial pathways for coverage of cross border organ exchange in different EU countries;
- Increase the number of bilateral/multilateral agreements for cross border organ exchange
The work will be carried out in four different tasks:
Describe the current practice regarding the handling of surplus organs existing across Europe
Identify obstacles and barriers that hinder the trans-border exchange of these organs (legal, logistical, financial)
Inventory of current bi-multilateral agreements between Member States and/or EOEOs.
After the first analys Eurotransplant will prepare:
1. Reccomandations for overcoming identified obstacles for international organ exchange;
2. Reccomendations regarding standards for International Organ Exchange bi-multilateral agreement